Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Good, the Bad, and the So-So

Oh my goodness! It feels like SO long since I've written and I apologize. This week has been crazypants. First off, I had a job interview on Monday... and I found today that I got the job! I'll be working with a psychologist in Spartanburg administering psychological tests. It's the perfect job for me because the hours are flexible and this work in my field is both perfecting one of my crafts and also making me look really desirable for PhD programs!

Also, I lost 1.2 pounds this week! Yay! I know it doesn't sound like much, but my motto is "slow and steady wins the race!" Last week I had gained 0.4, so I was a little bit bummed, but this week I feel like I'm back on track. I can't wait until my Mom and I can join a gym and get more active, because I know that will help shed the pounds even faster. In the meantime, I'm trying to find ways to be more active at home, like walking more. The only issue with walking is that it is ridiculously HOT. I mean, goodness gracious, I cannot remember a summer being hotter and I lived on James Island last summer.

I also went to the doctor today. I've been having a lot of knee pain in my right knee with some swelling and the doctor told me that I have arthritis in both my knees. Luckily, the arthritis is believed to be caused by weight, so as I keep losing the pain will eventually go away. Under normal circumstances, I would be prescribed a strong anti-inflammatory, but I am allergic to ibuprofen (Advil) and Naproxen (Aleve) and therefore, I can't take any type of anti-inflammatory without busting out into hives. Therefore, for the next month until my next doctor's appointment there will be a TON of ace bandage around my knee and much elevating while I'm sitting down. Keep your prayers open that the swelling will go down by the time I go to my appointment next month!

Another reason why I was too busy to post was that I took the GRE yesterday. For those of you who don't know, the GRE is like the SAT for graduate school. I'm applying to PhD programs and need to raise my score from an 1170 to above a 1200 to be a competitive applicant. I made an 1180 yesterday. I was pleased that it was higher, but a bit disappointed that it wasn't above that 1200 mark. But that's alright, I have time to take it one more time. Wish me luck!

In the meantime, my suggestion for this week is Veggie Straws. They are sold at places like Costco and sometimes at Bilo in the snack section. They are a good alternative to chips, made with potatoes, tomatoes and spinach. To me, they taste like Funyuns, but they are awfully tasty and only 3 points for 38 of them! So if you like salty snacks and are looking for something other than potato chips or french fries, try these out!

Until next time,
BB

No comments:

Post a Comment