Saturday, August 7, 2010

Disappointment and Being Human

I definitely ate something last night that I should not have. I am disappointed in my choice but proud of my restraint. Kyle and I went to the Mellow Mushroom last night and we ordered a large Hot Potato Pie. It tasted fantastic and I enjoyed eating it so, but it could not have been good for me: pizza with potatoes, bacon, cheese, onions, ranch, and sour cream. I limited myself to two slices, which was good, but I definitely wish I had ordered a plain cheese pizza with veggies (small). Kyle commented that eating food like this all the time was the reason that we are overweight, but eating this food every now and then is only a minor indulgence. That at least made me feel a bit better.

In the past, restraint and "minor" indulgence was not a part of my life style. If I wanted a Hot Potato Pie one night and chocolate cake the next day, then, by God, that what's I did! It's hard to switch out of that mindset and to realize that is good for your body and what isn't.

I'm still learning every day. I'm still failing and seeing where I went wrong every day. But I'm proud for trying.

I'll end my entry today with a quote from Eat Pray Love (The book I'm currently reading). I don't agree with everything Elizabeth Gilbert believes in or everything she says, but this quote resonated with me, especially pertaining to dieting:

"Could I have survived myself, by myself? I don't know. That's the thing about human life--there's no control group, no way to ever know how any of us would have turned out if any variables had been changed."

What if I hadn't eaten the pizza? What if I'd never been overweight at all? What if I lost weight five years ago instead of now? We'll never know. All I know is what I can do for myself now.

Until next time,
BB

No comments:

Post a Comment