Wednesday, July 11, 2012

New (and Renewed) Strategies

Hello all!  Welcome to July! :)  It's hard to believe that 2012 is over halfway through!

Let me fill you in on the past month:
My sweet and loving long-distance husband came to visit, which COMPLETELY threw off my dieting (not his fault!).  Ergo I had gained some weight since my last entry.  "Vacation mode" is an evil way to function because it makes you take less notice of the amount of food/calories you are eating.

Despite this, I remained firm in my resolve to "get it right" and attended my very first Zumba class the Friday after he left.  They were offering a free class at my church and I had heard so many wonderful things about Zumba from friends back home. Let me tell you: Zumba is so much fun!  It's tough work, but you almost forget that you are exercising. I took dance lessons/classes in my childhood and adolescence and have always loved to dance, but you do not need to come to the classes with any pre-existing dance abilities. After getting to know the instructor and some of the girls/women in the class, I decided to take a big step and join a gym here in Baton Rouge.  It's an idea I had entertained for many months now, but couldn't find a gym that fit mine and Kyle's budget, offered Group Exercise classes, and didn't have a long contract.

My instructor teaches 3 Zumba classes a week at a YMCA close to my apartment.  The start-up costs were low, the monthly fee was reasonable, and the contract was month-to-month.  Needless to say, I signed up almost immediately.  So for the past two weeks, I've been keeping track of my Weight Watchers Points Plus values religiously and exercising 3-4 times a week. Here's my current workout schedule:
Mondays: Swim laps for at least 30 minutes at YMCA pool.
Wednesdays: One-hour Zumba class after work.
Fridays: One-hour Zumba class after work.
Saturdays: One-hour Zumba class first thing in the morning, followed by a one-hour Pilates class (with my same instructor; she's the best!)

Since it's summer and the best laid plans always seem to fall apart, I have yet to complete this full schedule for one week.  Last week the gym was closed on Wednesday July 4th, so I didn't have Zumba class, but went and did 30 minutes of cardio on Thursday via treadmill and the elliptical machines.  So I still exercised 4 times, just not the four times I would have preferred.  This week will be a little hinky as well because one of my summer practicum sites has medical records training this Saturday morning (yuck) so I have to miss Zumba AND Pilates (so bummed!).  As a result, I'll probably head for a swim Saturday afternoon for about an hour to compensate (or try to) for the loss of my two awesome group x classes.

The point of my story is that over the last two weeks doing WW and Zumba, I've lost 6 pounds!  I lost 3.8 during Week 1 and 2.2 during Week 2.  As always, it would be nice if it were more, but as for now, I'm stoked with 6. :)

Current weight: 301.8


Maybe by next week I'll be back to Two-terville (in the 200s).  That would be awesome. I must admit I'm a bit nervous about this upcoming week.  Years of dieting/exercising tell me that when you have 1 or 2 good weeks (like 6 pounds total) the third week can get a bit rough in terms of weight loss. I'd love to lose at least 2 more pounds, but we'll see what happens.

Until next time,
BK

3 comments:

  1. Zumba! When I moved to FL I promised myself I would lose weight so I started doing dance classes at my gym too! They had this brand of classes called "les mills" and the craziest classes (sh'bam, body jam, body vive, etc) and holy crap it was fun. I can't wait to find something like that in AZ!
    Ps Congrats on the 6 pounds! Do you track calories with My Fitness Pal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, thanks for reading! :) I'm glad you love dancing as much as I do. I actually do the Weight Watchers Points Plus program and track my points daily in a Microsoft Word document with tables! I LOVE Weight Watchers, but have some friends who speak very highly of My Fitness Pal. Is that what you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is :) It is free and has a strong community that keeps me motivated (for the most part). It's really helped me out!

    ReplyDelete