Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Trying New Things

Hello all!

It's been an interesting week.  If I had to pick a theme for my week it would be the same as the title of this post: trying new things.  I've been trying new snacks and I've been trying new fitness activities. Most of them turned out well, but some did not. But the point is to try!

On Thursday, I tried a Boot Camp group exercise class.  I was really, really nervous before I went and was scared that it would be too intense for me.  The class was taught by my friend, Stephanie, who also teaches the Zumba classes and Pilates class that I take each week.  I trusted her to push me without pushing me past my limit. It turns out that I absolutely loved Boot Camp!  I did feel like I pushed myself and did things I didn't even think I could do.  Because of my weight and my size, I feel like I tell myself that I "can't" do things.  Before Boot Camp, I told myself "I can't run, I'm too heavy." During the class I realized that I CAN run. It may not be for more than a minute at a time, but I can run nonetheless.  I'll work my way up to running for longer. I told myself I couldn't do lunges or jumping jacks because I have bad knees. I CAN do lunges and jumping jacks. I can't do 100 of them at a time, but I can do enough of them. I told myself I couldn't do pushups because my body was just too heavy, but I CAN.  I know that I can because I tried. Unless your doctor tells you not to do something, then it's worth trying things that you have told yourself you cannot do. You might just surprise yourself!

Today, I tried something else new and I failed at it. I had decided to go try a 30-minute Spin class at one of the local YMCA branches.  I thought "30 minutes, I can probably make it through that." So I went early and met the teacher (super nice!) and got the spin bike all set up to the proper settings and was ready to go. The instructor warned me that first couple of times I did Spin would be painful on my tailbone/sit bones because of the way the seats are designed, but that eventually it would get better as I got used to it. So I practiced a little on the bike before class started and pretty soon we were ready to go.  After a couple of minutes into the class, the pain in my tailbone/sit bones was excruciating and my legs (of course) felt like jello.  I tried to tough it out, but the pain was unbearable, so after just 5 minutes of Spin class, I got off the bike and left.

I was so disappointed in myself and felt really embarrassed to have had to leave a class after only five minutes.  I drove to my usual YMCA branch to finish some type of workout, called Kyle, and cried. I felt really defeated.  Kyle (being the awesome husband that he is) told me that there was no reason to be upset or embarrassed because I had at least tried.  He reiterated that Spin class is really intense and that I could work my way up to it in the future if it is something I really wanted to do. I still felt really bummed, but I felt considerably better after talking to him. I also got a text message pep talk from my Mom who told me pretty much the same thing. So after composing myself, I walked into the gym and got on a standard exercise bike (much easier on my tailbone) and rode for 25 minutes to finish the 30 minutes I would have spent in my spin class.  I pushed myself and got 4.66 miles in those 25 minutes and felt pretty good about it.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still disappointed about my failure in Spin, but I'm proud of myself for trying. I now know that I can't do Spin class....yet.  I plan to revisit it after I get in better shape and take some more of this weight off.

In addition to trying Larabars this week, I also bought a couple of Luna bars to try!  I had one today for a snack and it was delicious.
Luna bars are nutrition bars made for women that are a source of Vitamin D, Folic Acid, Iron, and Calcium, among others. They also have 8 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber to keep you full!  There's a larger list of ingredients with these bars than there are with Larabars, but this bar definitely has its perks. It is 5 points plus per bar (according to the 3 I calculated) and they come in a lot of different flavors. As with Larabars, quite a few of their bars contain tree nuts, but as you can see I found at least 3 flavors without. Today I had the Chocolate Peppermint Stick flavor and it definitely satisfied my sweet craving.  I got these at Whole Foods for $1 a piece (they were on sale!).

So go out and try new things!  Don't be too hard on yourself if you aren't able to do everything, but if you are like me, your body might just surprise you!

Until next time,
BK

No comments:

Post a Comment